Data science is pushing the sustainable energy sector forward, in the process shaping the future and overcoming long-standing issues. Learn how data science is currently being used and what new developments to expect in the near future.
The Demand For Analytic Data Scientists
Our world is filled with data, but it doesn’t mean anything until someone analyzes it to extract useful information. That’s exactly what data scientists do. They collect data, and they make sense out of it.
But it’s not as simple or straightforward as it sounds. Key tasks may include any of the following:
Collecting large quantities of data from different sources:
– Validating the data for correctness
– Programming algorithms to process volumes of data
– Analyzing the results to uncover trends, patterns, and answers
– Interpreting the information for clarification
– Applying the findings to create real-world solutions
Data scientists come from different backgrounds, including math, science, programming, engineering, statistics, marketing, and more. They work on anything that requires data-driven decisions to be made, and they are employed by government agencies and the private sector alike.
How Is Data Science Being Used In The Sustainable Energy Sector?
Renewable energy projects can benefit immensely from the skills brought in by data scientists. Wind farms and solar energy producers, for example, need to consider and evaluate a wide range of variables when designing and implementing new installations. These are just some of the factors that need to be studied:
– Climate changes across the next several decades
– Energy consumption estimates throughout the region to be served
– Expected population growth in the area
– Costs associated with building and operating the installation
– Energy production expectations over time
In the past, much of this was calculated manually. Fortunately, data scientists are now being consulted for many sustainable energy projects to make the most of their data compilation and analysis skills. This results in designing more efficient systems, building more cost-effective facilities, and operating in a smarter, more economical way.
Data science skills that come in handy in renewable energy projects include, but are not limited to:
– Computer programming skills, needed to collect and compile data and create realistic algorithms
– Advanced statistics, to be able to find trends and make sense of the collected data
– Machine learning, a subset of artificial intelligence, used to develop algorithms that predict accurate outcomes and reach valid conclusions
By using these and other data science skills, massive quantities of data can be processed quickly and accurately. Whereas manual data collection and computations could take weeks or months to complete, data scientists can set up systems in a fraction of that time and achieve calculations on multiple scenarios in mere seconds, with detailed, printed reports available within minutes.
New Developments We Expect To See
There’s no getting around the fact that the sustainable energy sector is becoming more and more competitive. In such an environment where profit margins continue to tighten, it’s imperative to use every means possible to cut costs and operate efficiently. The best way to accomplish this is through detailed reports data scientists can generate after programming algorithms that make use of smart, machine learning algorithms.
It’s not a stretch to expect more renewable energy companies to hire data scientists in order to offload tedious work from the engineering teams, set up automatic systems for continuously gathering and analyzing data, and generating automatic reports that any business exec can easily understand.
Adding data scientists to any tech business in the sustainable energy sector will lead to:
– More efficient energy production
– Fewer calculation errors
– Engineers who are better informed and more productive
– Cost reductions in construction and operations
– Increased safety onsite
– Machine learning algorithms that can anticipate needs and take action in real-time to meet energy demands that fluctuate from hour to hour
Software And Specialists For Better Energy Solutions
Renewable energy is here to stay, and opportunities in the sustainable energy sector will only continue to grow. Smarter designs and more detailed data analysis systems are needed for a new or existing company to successfully compete in this growing market. Data scientists can provide the edge you need to stay ahead of the curve in environmentally-friendly solutions.
At Florijn, we specialize in turning raw data into real information you can use. Our data scientists are qualified to optimize data gathering systems by programming in automation, creating accurate algorithms, and employing machine learning to give you the advantage you need to create real energy solutions that our world needs now.
You can no longer afford to have your tech teams churn data manually and make tedious, time-consuming calculations. Instead, turn to data-driven analyses for higher levels of accuracy, improved modeling, reduced costs, and faster times to market.
We work with tech companies around the world poised to make the most of the clean energy revolution. In addition to providing energy software for energy transformation, Florijn can provide you with some of the top data scientists and architects who know their stuff and will deliver outstanding service. To learn more, contact Florijn today.